Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Misunderstanding in Scotland

I have been traveling quite a bit this summer, and I thought I'd start out with a post about a funny miscommunication that happened a few days ago in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Me: "Have you been able to make it to any of the festival shows?"
Friendly Scottish Hotel Worker: "No, unfortunately I haven't."
Me: "Oh no, why not?"
FSHW: "Well, last week I was on vacation."
Me: "Oh, how nice!  Where did you go?"
FSHW: "I was in Motor."
Me: "...I'm sorry, where?"
FSHW: "Motor."
Me: "Hm, I don't think I have ever heard of that place..."
FSHW: "It's an island just south of Sicily."

It was then I realized that what I had been hearing as "Motor" was actually the island of "Malta."  Thankfully the friendly gentleman had a good sense of humor about it.  I guess the American-Scottish language barrier got the better of me!

2 comments:

  1. ajaajajajja... I have a good one, too!!

    Venezuela/Minnesota... la verdad es que a mi no me suenan igual...

    Dafne, Ingrid and I were in New York talking about how people from Venezuela and Colombia say the word "chevere" all the time! Ingrid was just listening... but suddenly she says... "In Minnesota? Why would they say that in Minnesota?" JAJAJAJAJAJAJA...

    Check out this video if you want to understand this one!! :)

    Love you, Gringrid!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVU6ulSMjc8&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha Tania I love that you posted this in the comments, I think it deserves its own post! :)

    ReplyDelete